Healthy but delicious!
This weeks Give Me Five! cod recipe is our healthy, but extremely delicious, version of fish & chips! Light, fresh, and packed with goodness, unlike it’s deep-fried takeaway version it won’t leave you feeling over-full and sluggish afterwards.
Cod is a great source of omega-3 fatty acids, which are crucial for good mental health; in fact low blood levels of these fats have been linked with depression. It is also rich in vitamins B6 and B12, which are both needed to keep homocysteine levels low. This is very important because elevated homocysteine in the body has been linked with cardiovascular disease and increased risk of heart attack and stroke.
Utterly delicious, sweet potatoes are nutritional powerhouses too! They are packed with beta-carotene (this is what makes them orange), which not only boosts the immune system but also is wonderful for the skin.
They are rich in potassium, the powerful skin-protective antioxidant vitamin E, and quercetin which helps to fight allergies.
They are also a fantastic source of dietary fibre.
cod (or another white fish), frozen peas, sweet potato, mint, lemon
From the store cupboard
extra virgin olive oil, garlic, chilli flakes (optional), salt & pepper
Ingredients (serves 2)
2 fillets cod
200g frozen peas
2 medium sweet potatoes
small handful of fresh mint leaves
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic
1 tbsp chilli flakes (optional)
salt & pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Half the sweet potatoes, and cut length ways into chunky chips. Put into a bowl, and mix with 2 tbsp olive oil, and the chilli flakes (optional). Spread out on a non-stick baking tray, and roast for 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, cook the peas in boiling salted water for about five minutes or until soft but still vibrant green. Drain, and purée in a blender until smooth. Add the mint and ½ tablespoon of olive oil, and purée a little more. Add a pinch of salt and pepper to taste.
3. To make the gremolata, finely grate the zest from the lemon into a small bowl. Crush and finely chop the garlic clove, and mix with the lemon zest and the juice of half a lemon.
4. After 15 minutes, turn the chips. Return to oven. Put the cod fillets on a separate baking sheet, season well, and add a squeeze of lemon juice. Put in the oven for 10 minutes, or until the fish is cooked.
5. Remove the fish and chips from oven, and arrange onto warmed plates. Serve with the crushed peas, and spoon the gremolata over the fish. Serve with a wedge of lemon. ENJOY!
Another delicious cod recipe from Spring Chicken.