Spring Chicken Direct Ltd is a responsible business and complies with the latest EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). The GDPR says that information we provide to people about how we process their personal data must be:
- Concise, transparent, intelligible and easily accessible
- Written in clear and plain language
- Free of charge
As such, the below privacy statement covers how Spring Chicken complies with the regulation to ensure the data subject (you) is well informed.
We may collect, store and process data obtained about you via the Spring Chicken website, catalogue orders (mail or telephone), or 3rd parties, such as Facebook, This data may contain, but is not limited to, the following data points: name, date of birth, gender, telephone number(s), addresses, decades of interest to you, health condition of interest, source of sign up, VAT exemption reason, quiz/survey responses, location data, IP address, product/service purchase history, email engagement history, cookie data (view here).
We, as the data controller, collect this information through a variety of methods:
- The Spring Chicken online store
- The Spring Chicken website
- An online form used to join one of our mailing lists such as the Spring Chicken newsletter, book club, or condition-led panels.
- A Spring Chicken administered quiz, survey or poll
- Where you have contacted us through post, telephone or email
Some of these data sets may be combined with one or more other data sets to derive greater insight and analysis functionality for use by Spring Chicken and partners. Identifiable information, such as your name, email address, telephone number and so on is never passed to any 3rd party, except for the purpose of fulfilling an activity, such as a catalogue despatch, product and or purchase delivery.
Data collected via 3rd parties such as Facebook may also be stored by them. You are advised to consult their privacy notice and terms and conditions for further information.
Data processor for our digital online crossword competitions: Puzzler Media Ltd
Puzzler Media Ltd permanently delete all competition entry data within a maximum of 30 days of each competition expiry date, and no backups are kept of any competition entry data submitted by the competition entrants
We collect your data by the aforementioned methods for a variety of purposes:
- Where data is collected from the Spring Chicken online store and with the exception of payment details, we store this data indefinitely for the purposes of historical analysis, record keeping and any relevant HMRC requirements.
- Data from the Spring Chicken website, specifically cookies, are used to inform us of how our website is being used. This data is invaluable to us in improving our website for future visitors. To see more information about cookies, please visit here.
- Online forms are completed by you to join various mailing lists such as the Spring Chicken newsletter, book club, or condition-led panels. We collect the data on these forms for the purpose of sending you the most relevant content and information as well as informing us of our consumer’s requirements, needs and interests.
- Quizzes, surveys and polls administered by Spring Chicken are developed for a variety of reasons, specifically: audience entertainment, research for Spring Chicken into a specific area, research for one of Spring Chicken’s partners/affiliates and for marketing purpose.
- If you have contacted us via post, email and telephone, we may store your information depending on the nature of the contact.
It is important to state that we do not share or sell any data that can be used to identify you, including contact details, to any company.
Your personal contact data is primarily used for the purpose of contacting you either via post, telephone, SMS or email, where you have explicitly expressed permission for us to do so.
Email addresses may also be used in a profiling exercise, whereby our customer email addresses are loaded into Facebook’s profiling tool. This tool enables our posts and advertising to reach audiences similar to those that we uploaded.
Sales data, cookies and email engagement data are used for the purposes of internal analysis. The analysis of this data allows us to improve our website, content, articles, product range and more, to give the customer a better experience.
Quiz, survey and poll data may be used to gather information on market trends or to harvest data from communities on behalf of partners. Only the responses and subsequent analysis of the quiz/survey/poll is shared with our partners and no identifiable data such as name, email address etc. is shared with any 3rd party or partner.
No personal, identifiable data is ever shared with any 3rd party.
Data developed by Spring Chicken through analysis of quizzes, polls, surveys, sales data or questionnaires may be shared publically, however any responses are fully anonymised.
By capturing and storing your data we are able to analyse how our customers interact with our business and improve the future experience for everyone.
As of 25th May 2018, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) requires that all permissions to contact you are ‘positively opted-in’. This means that we will only contact you if you have proactively asked us to or checked a subscription box.
You are free to change your mind at any time and ask us to stop contacting you by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or via email, by clicking ‘unsubscribe’ at the bottom of any of our emails.
According to the ICO, under Article 17 of the GDPR individuals have the right to have personal data erased. This is also known as the ‘right to be forgotten’. The right is not absolute and only applies in certain circumstances.
In order to request to ‘be forgotten’ by Spring Chicken, you must email email@example.com or call 01865 339366 detailing your name, email address, address and any other information you believe relevant. We will respond to you acknowledging your request and then we will process this within one month of receipt.
In some circumstances we may be required, by law, to retain certain information and data. If this is the case, we will communicate to you exactly which pieces of information must remain and for what purposes.
Under the GDPR, you are allowed to request access your personal data. Spring Chicken will provide this information to you free of charge, however, if the request is manifestly unfounded or excessive, we will charge a reasonable fee based on administrative costs. As per your right to be forgotten, we will comply with the request within one month of receipt.
Before supplying the information, we will verify your identity before providing the information via email.
If you hold an account with us you can request this directly by visiting your account page and selecting ‘Manage Your Data‘ from the bottom left of the page.
Our site and accounting system use a 256-bit secure certificate to encrypt all personal information sent from your browser to our server. This makes it almost impossible for a hacker to intercept your details and read them.