To know if you’re going to be comfortable in your electric wheelchair, it’s important to know your measurements to ensure you’re going to fit into the wheelchair comfortably. The following measurement guide should give you the key measurements needed to make sure you’re comfortable in your new electric Wheelchair. So grab a tape measure, an assistant and get measuring! It should be noted that this guide cannot be perfect for every user and for some people it may not be suitable.
What should you Measure on your Electric Wheelchair?
To get accurate measurements for your chair you’re going to need some help, grab your partner, child or grandchild and a tape measure. Sit down in a chair and make yourself comfortable. Sit with a straight back and your feet flat on the floor.
- Measure from the back of your knee to the back of your bottom.
- Minus 2cm from this length
- For example, if this distance is 50cm, you would need a chair with a seat depth of 48cm.
- Measure the distance between the outside of one hip to the other.
- Add 4cm to this measurement to give yourself some wiggle room.
- For example, if this was 40cm you would need a seat with a width of 44cm
- If you want a chair with a wide seat we recommend the Joyrider, which comes with a seat width of 19 Inches.
- Hold your forearm at roughly a right angle from your elbow then measure the distance from your arm to the seat.
Front seat to Floor.
- Measure the length between the back of your knee to the heel of your shoe.
If you are looking for a bigger chair, we would recommend the Joyrider this comes with a seat width of 19 inches and a seat depth of 20.5 inches, making it big enough and comfortable for people of all sizes.
Please feel free to give our friendly wheelchair experts a ring on 01865 671 450