You may want to consider reorganising your kitchen cupboards so that frequently used items are easily accessible.
Try and arrange items so that you can slide pans, casserole dishes and other heavy items so that you don’t need to lift heavy objects.
There are many gadgets that can help you when preparing food:
- Tin and ring pull openers. Click here to view.
- Jar and Bottle openers. Click here to view.
- Hot water dispensers
- Travel kettles
- Electric steamers
- Hand blenders
- Easi grip cutlery and knives. Click here to view. These come in a chose of colours.
- Bendable cutlery to help with hand positioning. Click here to view fork or click here to view spoon.
- Food processor (for chopping vegetables)
- Non-slip mats. Click here to view.
Other options for food preparation include buying prepared vegetables, grated cheese etc. It is also a good idea to keep some ready meals in the freezer just in case you have a ‘bad day’.
If you struggle to hold the kettle while you fill it up, consider filling up a jug and taking it to the kettle. Alternatively, consider buying an easy pour kettle. Click here to view.
A perching stool may also be useful when completing kitchen tasks; there needs to be enough space for the stool and consideration needs to be given to the legs as they ‘splay out’ which could be a trip hazard.
You may want to consider a trolley to carry food from the kitchen to the table.
If you use a walking frame with 2 wheels at the front, a caddy also a useful attachment.